top of page

Enriching the Lives of Others.

Adoption Application

When you adopt a child from outside Canada, the immigration process has two parts:

  • the application for sponsorship and

  • the application for permanent residence for the child


After your child arrives in Canada as a permanent resident, you can apply for citizenship on the child’s behalf.


If any country is a member of Hague Convention with respect to adoption, then adoption must be done according to Hague Conventions rules and regulations.

Adoption Sponsorship Eligibility

To sponsor a child from another country for adoption, you must be at least 18 years old, live in Canada and be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.


You may not be eligible to sponsor in some circumstances including if you have failed to meet the requirements of a previous sponsorship agreement; if you have defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support; if you have been convicted of a violent criminal offence; or, if you do not live in Canada now and do not plan to live full time in Canada during the next six months.

bottom of page